Monday, June 28, 2010

Even non-therapy staff inspired by kids at the Foundation

Here is an update from me, Lauren Michaud, administrator of the BRSHF staff blog.

"As Development and Marketing Coordinator, I created this blog in order to be able to post stories from the therapy and audiology staff, as a glimpse into the day-to-day experiences they encouter with our students and clients. I had no intention of posting myself; my role was simply going to be collecting the content and creating the posts. However, even as a layman with no medical background, it's impossible to work in this building without being impressed (and entertained) by our children on a daily basis, and this is a snapshot of the clinic I had to share.

I was on the playground this morning during play time, mapping out the layout for our 50th Anniversary party in September. While I was out there, I had a few observations about the students playing. One young student started our autism/preschool language therapy program this spring with gross motor impairments (meaning she held her arms up at face-level at all times and walked in big stomping-steps). Today on the playground, I noticed she was walking with her arms down in a much more natural stride, navigating steps on and off the pavement that would have likely tripped her a few months ago. Even though our focus is on correcting communication delays, the occupational therapy this child receives in conjuntion with her speech and ABA therapy is clearly having an impact on her overall development. Her progress was abundantly apparent, even to me!

Another child, always good for fascinating narrative, was running around the playground with a zucchini. When I asked him about it, I learned he brought that and an ear of corn from his garden to play with today. Another student asked him to play with a ball he was also holding, and he bargained with her, saying "no, but you can have this zucchini!" It just goes to show, dear readers, that there's always something exciting going on at BRSHF!"

No comments:

Post a Comment