Friday, June 11, 2010

Trenae's client goes from jargon to full sentence

Trenae Webb, one of our speech therapists, has this update from parent conferences a few weeks ago:


"It was that time of the year for parent conference... a time to report all the progress that my client has made over the course of our quaterly sessions.  A precious little two year old in my group began with me not yet producing multiword combinations like her typically developing peers and primarily producing jargon-like speech, her own "personal" language.   Well, we've been working diligently on the production of true words through imitation and really manipulating the enviroment for spontaneous productions as well.  She had been progressing well, imitating 2-3 word phrases. A few days prior to the conference, she began imitating 3-4 word utterances.  It was during the parent conference that my little client burst into speech with her own, spontenous request for a ball:  "I want the ball!"   Mom was practically in tears, overwhelmed and exclaimed:  "Wow, I'm amazed!  She's talking sentences!"  Shortly after our confererence, Mom had a great report of how her little girl is suddenly a social butterfly and her use of words is increasing daily.  Ha! What a moment!  Simply priceless and a reminder of why I do what I do!"

No comments:

Post a Comment